There are 763 commercial banks located across the 54 countries that make up the African continent.
Findings by Business Insider Africa show that Kenya and Egypt have the highest concentration of commercial banks at 39 and 37, respectively. On the other hand, Tanzania has 34 commercial banks, followed by Nigeria with 24, Uganda with 24 and Ghana with 23.
Note that the African continent has a smaller number of commercial banks compared to other continents. For context, Asia has at least 1,900, European Union has about 6,000 while the USA has more than 4,000.
In the same vein, African banks have significantly lower valuations compared to their foreign counterparts. But this is not to say that all African banks have low valuations.
As you will see shortly, some African banks have total assets valued at over $100 billion. Assets include all the properties, cash, account receivables and other valuable resources owned by corporations such as banks.
Before unveiling the list, it’s important to mention that this ranking is courtesy of Statista, the leading markets and consumer data provider.
- Standard Bank (Stanbank) Group: At $172.9 billion, this South African bank has the largest asset size in Africa.
- National Bank of Egypt: This Egyptian bank’s total asset size is $124.9 billion.
- Absa Bank: This is another South African bank with an asset size of $87.8 billion.
- FirstRand: The third South African bank on the top 10 list has a total asset size of $81.9 billion.
- Nedbank Group: This South African bank has an asset size of $78.6 billion.
- Attijariwafa Bank: This Moroccan bank has an asset size of $63.8 billion.
- Banque Misr: This Egyptian bank has an asset size of $57.9 billion.
- Banque Centrale Populaire: This is a Moroccan bank with an asset size of $49.9 billion.
- BMCE Bank Group: This is another Moroccan bank with an asset size of $37.3 billion.
- Investec Bank: Lastly, this South African bank has an asset size of $29.9 billion.
Economy3 days ago
IMF wants Sinohydro, COCOBOD loans added to existing debt stock
Economy4 weeks ago
Telecom workers to embark on strike
Company/Corporate News7 days ago
Zoomlion lifts Ghana’s image high at RWM Let’s Recycle Conference
Banking and Finance4 weeks ago
200 Berekum market women benefit from free health screening
General News3 weeks ago
Bawumia, First Lady, Ex-Presidents Mourn With Dr. Agyepong
Construction/Real Estate3 weeks ago
Asphalting of Kenyasi- Hwideim road begins
Banking and Finance6 days ago
Chamber of Mines to support Bank of Ghana’s domestic gold purchase programme with 125,000 ounces of gold
Company/Corporate News4 weeks ago
Enterprise Group commits to support local firms